Tips To Reduce Stress When Moving!
Moving can be an overwhelming task with a lot of moving parts. It can be even more stressful when you are selling your Colorado Springs home and buying a home. Getting your current home ready for the new buyers, packing and getting all your tasks completed for your move, can become overwhelming quick. It is no doubt one of life's more stressful times. As your Colorado Springs real estate agent, here are a few tips to help reduce stress when moving in Colorado Springs.
Getting organized is vital when it comes to moving, especially if you are selling one house and buying another. Start with writing down all your deadlines so you don't miss any important dates that could hinder the buying/selling process. If you are selling your home, have one list with all items you need to do before closing. Then, create another list for all your tasks before moving into your new home.
List of tasks to accomplish before MOVING OUT of your home.
- If you are hiring a moving company, call as soon as possible to get on their schedule.
- Go to your local post office to fill out a change of address
- Make a list of businesses to call to change your address. IE: bank, employer, credit cards, etc. Don't rely on the change of address to get your mail to the right home. This will save you from any late fees on bills or missing important documents.
- Schedule to have the day off from work on moving day. If you have the time, we recommend taking a couple days off, the day before, day of moving and day after. Clearing your schedule can help reduce stress so you can make sure you are not balancing too much at one time.
- Review your schedule and reschedule any appointments that are not vital to attend. The last thing you want is to have your schedule filled with appointments that just make you busier. Postpone any appointments you can until after your big move.
- Call utility companies to cut off services. You might be able to transfer service, which would save you a step.
- If moving with kids and they are switching schools, call the school to let them know their last day. May need to confirm any money left on school accounts either as a refund or payment.
- Create a last day checklist. This should include: Lights off, water shut off, a/c shut off, windows shut and locked, house keys given to new owners, final walk through for any last-minute items left behind.
- If you plan to have your house cleaned for the new owners or carpets cleaned, get it scheduled right away.
List of tasks to complete before MOVING INTO your home.
- Call utility companies to schedule new services-you may have just transferred old services.
- Confirm delivery dates on new appliances or furniture being delivered.
- Any repairs or updates that are being done after the closing, will need to be confirmed.
- If you are moving with kids and you are switching school districts, call the new school to confirm enrollment. You may have paperwork that can be filled out in advance.
- If you are planning to have the house cleaned prior to moving in, call in advance to have it on their calendar. Or if you are doing it yourself, plan accordingly so it is accomplished before everything is moved in.
- Recruit help! If you are not hiring a moving company, make sure you have asked those helping you if they are available.
- Hire a babysitter or animal sitter for the day of the move.
- Create a packing Game Plan. See suggestions below for your game plan to make your move easier for you and those helping you move.
- Schedule to rent a moving truck if you are moving yourself. This will save time and most likely get all your belongings in one trip.
The key in making your checklist is to pay close attention to your scheduling. You want to plan all the items mentioned above on the correct days. The last thing you want is your electric turned off two days too early or the cleaning crew not to come until a week after you need them. Closing dates sometimes move for a variety of reasons, if this happens make sure you go back through your list and adjust your dates with the companies you have scheduled.
Declutter Before Packing
Before selling your Colorado Springs home, we recommend all sellers declutter their home before putting the house on the market. If you didn't do this prior to selling or you still have some items you need to eliminate, declutter before packing. This will save you time and it will be less to move. Donate what you can, or you can sell a few items to make extra money to put towards your move. Just don't get too wrapped up in this process because you don't want to be balancing too much in the short amount of time you have to move.
Packing Game PlanPacking up your home can be one of the most stressful tasks of moving. Don't let this overwhelm you, instead tackle it with a game plan. Prior to packing get all supplies you need so when you get started you don't have to stop to go to the store. You will need tape, markers, boxes, packing peanuts or something to protect your valuables. Here are a few ways to make packing a breeze:
- Dispose of any flammables that can't be transported. and drain equipment such as lawn mowers and water hoses.
- Start with one room at a time! Don't bounce around from room to room or you will feel like you are not getting anything accomplished. Make sure you label each box with what is in the box and what room you want it to go when moving. IE: KITCHEN-PLATES
- Label EVERYTHING. Label every box clearly so those helping you move can put it where it goes. This will keep you organized throughout the entire move.
- Keep out essentials. You will need certain items immediately after you move. Keep those in a box that stays in your car, so you don't have to look for it later. This can include hygiene items, change of clothes, snacks, toilet paper, etc.
- Clean out the refrigerator and only keep what you can move. Keep a cooler out so on the day of the move you can put what is left in the cooler to make moving simple.